- Community Programs
- Prescription Drug Drop Box
Prescription Pill & Drug Disposal Program (P2D2)
The Lake Saint Louis Police Department partners with the Missouri P2D2 program to provide citizens the opportunity to dispose of unwanted/unused medications from their homes. A disposal box is located in the police department lobby and is accessible 24 hours a day. We also participate in the DEA National Prescription Drug Take Back Day twice a year.
The number of prescription drugs in households has increased over the last decade. Some of these medicines are not used and begin to accumulate in medicine cabinets. The purpose of the program is to educate the public about the best ways to dispose of prescription and non-prescription drugs to protect our health and our environment. By disposing of these drugs we help to:
- Reduce the risk of drug abuse -- Nearly one in five teens (about 4.5 million) report abusing prescription medications to get high.
- Cut the risk of accidental poisoning -- Every year about 71,000 young children are poisoned by medicines.
- Protect our environment -- Flushing medicines down the toilet sends them to wastewater treatment plants and then into our rivers and streams. Studies have found trace amounts of pharmaceuticals in rivers and streams. The impact of these trace amounts, measured in parts per trillion, is unknown.
The following is a list of acceptable and unacceptable items.
- Prescription medications (included control substances)
- All over-the-counter medications
- Pet medications
- Vitamins and supplements
- Medicated ointments, lotions, creams and oils
- Liquid medications in leakproof containers
- Homeopathic and herbal remedies
- Suppositories @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Items NOT Accepted
- Illegal drugs
- Syringes with needles
- IV bags and tubing
- Bloody or infectious waste
- Personal care products
- Empty containers
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Aerosol cans and inhalers @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>