Land Use Regulations & Zoning Map Update
Take a brief community survey.
What's The Project?
In December 2018, the City hired PGAV Planners, a St. Louis-based consulting firm, to perform a comprehensive update of the City’s land use regulations (primarily Chapters 400-445 and Chapter 245 of the Municipal Code) and zoning map.
The land use regulations, in their current form, were adopted in 1988 and have been amended nearly 200 times since then. The goal of the project is to update the land use regulations to implement recommendations of the City’s Comprehensive Plan, incorporate best practices, improve user-friendliness, guide more consistent decision-making, and simplify administration.
The City will seek input from residents, business owners, elected and appointed officials, and other stakeholders throughout the process.
What Are Land Use Regulations?
Land use regulations are ordinances adopted by the City that affect the development and use of land. The most common form of land-use regulation is zoning (use the zoning map to view the City’s current zoning map and zoning regulations).
Every lot in the City is assigned a zoning classification which when grouped together, comprise larger zoning districts. The zoning code regulates the uses allowed within each zoning district (e.g. residential, commercial, industrial) as well as the physical characteristics (e.g. height, setbacks) of buildings within each zoning district.
Other types of land use regulations include subdivision, signage, parking, and landscaping regulations, and design guidelines.
What's The Process?
The project is divided into two phases described below and will be completed within 12 to 18 months.
Information and Fact Finding
- Kickoff Meeting with City Staff - January 23, 2019
- Community Survey - February 6, 2019
- Stakeholder Meeting (Invitation Only) - February 26, 2019
- Land Use Regulation Review & Critique - July 16, 2019
- Public Open House - July 22, 2019 5-7 PM at City Hall
Work Sessions, Public Hearings and Adoption
- Draft Land Use Regulation Update & Zoning Map - June through September 2019
- Planning & Zoning Commission & Board of Aldermen Workshops - September 2019
- Public Hearings and Adoption - October 2019 through January 2020
Check this page regularly for project updates and opportunities to provide feedback.