Water Service Insurance Program
Most residential properties in the City of Lake Saint Louis are covered by a Water Service Insurance Program. If you suspect you have a leak in your domestic water service please contact the Public Works Department at 636-695-4221 for assistance.
The plan was implemented in January 2013.
An annual assessment fee of $8 is paid with annual real estate taxes.
The program covers:
- All required street, sidewalk, and/or driveway replacement associated with the repair
- Repairs (patching or replacement) to private water service lines from the exterior building foundation wall to the public main
- Seed or sod for yard repair
Repairs are for the purpose of correcting broken or leaking service lines only.
Items not covered by the program (not all inclusive) include:
- Electric Dog Fences
- Irrigation Services
- Landscaping or Other Appurtenances
- Private Systems Other Than a Standard Domestic Water Service
- Relocation or Damage to Structures
- Retaining Walls
- Sprinkler Systems
- Swimming Pools
- Work Under or Inside of a Structure
Damages caused by freezing, earthquake or any other “act of God” are not covered. Also, damage caused by a leak, damage caused by contractor’s performance, repairs or other work performed prior to application and acceptance into the program will not be covered
Covered are residential property owners, within the city limits, including:
- Multi-Family Dwellings with Four Units or Less
- Single Family Homes
Condominiums with separate service lines and meters for each unit are considered individual properties regardless of the number of adjacent dwelling units.
Properties Not Covered
Properties not located within the city limits are not eligible.
- Submit an application along with prior year’s paid property tax receipt (no fee).
- A City employee will perform an inspection of the site. The approximate location of the leak must be evident. If the leak is not obvious, a property owner will have the choice of contracting with a private service to locate the leak. These private companies may be found in the Yellow Pages or on the internet under Leak Detecting Services, and Plumbing Contractors. The maximum reimbursement for this work is $450. If available the City will provide leak detection services at no cost to the applicant through a City contractor.
- If the repair is confirmed to be eligible by the Public Works Department the applicant will be provided with a licensed contractors list to obtain three bids. The bids will be returned to the city for review and the city will approve the lowest qualified bid.
- The Public Works Department will then issue authorization to the homeowner to execute an agreement with the contractor of his/her choosing in the amount of the lowest bid.
- The contractor must apply for a permit pay a permit fee. The City will inspect the repair work.
- Once the work is completed, the City will issue payment on the next available warrant in the form of a two party check made payable to the homeowner and the contractor.
Funds for the program are distributed on a first come first serve basis until the funds have been depleted. If funds are depleted, applications can still be submitted and reviewed and eligible projects will be placed on a waiting list for the next year. If funds remain at the end of the year they will carry over to the next year. The program will provide a maximum of $3,000.00 per household. Any charges in excess of $3,000.00 are the homeowner’s responsibility.
If the bid exceeds the maximum cap of $3,000.00 the resident may apply to the Public Works Committee for consideration of a hardship that would apply to the repair, also all city bills must be up to date and all debts paid to the city to qualify for the program.
A warranty must be provided by the contractor to the resident for all work completed. (Minimum of 1 year).
A water service that has completely failed and cannot supply water to the home will be considered an emergency repair. After the approval of the Director of Public Works or his designee the applicant may forego the standard bidding practice. An authorization to execute an agreement under the program and commence work will be provided within 24 hours by the Public Works Department. On weekends and holidays contact Lake Saint Louis Police at 636-625-8018. They will dispatch a Public Works Employee.